Monday, February 25, 2008

My Dad...the Poet?

I always knew my dad liked to write when he was younger, but I didn't know that he was good! Yesterday, I was going through some old pictures trying to find ones of me as a baby. (Being the 2nd child, this was more difficult than it sounds.) And, there in the picture box was an old bulletin from my Grandma Holland's church. The date on it was August 6, 1967 and inside there was a poem written by my dad. Here is what it says...


My Buddies, My God, and Me
(Written while on a boat near Vietnam)

There I was on open deck
Cold chills running up and down my neck
The PT boats were coming fast;
This sea fight might be out last.

My 50 calibre machine gun at the ready,
I looked at my hands, not too steady;
I was scared, I must confess;
I prayed, "O God, get us out of this mess."

Then all at once I knew no fear
Because I knew that God was near;
The enemy boats, they numbered three,
But there was my buddies, my God and me.

The order came for us to shoot;
We gave it all we had--and some to boot.
The battle raged for a little while,
Then ceased, and on my face broke a little smile

No enemy boats were on the sea--
Because there was my buddies, my God, and me.


I did finally find a picture of me...not near as interesting as the poem, but I'll post it anyway. Lots of people say that Caleb looks like Bill....some say he looks like me. See what you think after looking at the pictures below...
Me
Caleb--obviously
Bill

No comments:


About Me

Just a fun way to share info and pictures of our family.....